Joe Krovoza (Davis City Council 2010-2014, Mayor of Davis 2011-2014) has given the Davisite permission to publish the following letter, distributed to his friends via email.
Hello, Friends. I hope and trust this note finds you well. I am being asked who I support for City Council in 2018 -- for the two open seats and it's Larry Guenther and Ezra Beeman. Larry and Ezra will work tirelessly for Davis. They understand and will advance what makes Davis unique: school-city connections; supporting seniors; parks; partnerships with UC Davis; a vibrant downtown; and so much more.
Feel free to forward this on.
My view is Larry and Ezra will be the best match for the leadership our new mayor Brett Lee will provide. Brett will be outstanding; he has all the right values for Davis and the conviction to do what's best for Davis long-term; I want Brett to have a strong council that will contribute to his visionary and his pragmatic approaches.
Ezra and Larry are thoughtful and earnest; they will listen carefully to the community, and, importantly, make the toughest of tough decisions when needed.
- More on Larry, click here: Eagle Scout (like me); UC Davis grad school grad; small businessman in Davis; married to UC Davis Vet Med faculty member Ashley Hill. To give or volunteer...
- More on Ezra, click here: 5-generation Yolo farming family; leads his Davis-headquartered energy/technology company; three kids!; worked at the Davis Farmer's Market as a boy. To give or volunteer...
My thinking behind these endorsements:
- Independence. Neither Larry nor Ezra are accepting campaign contributions from those who do business directly with the City Council. This means developers who seek building entitlements and members of bargaining groups (primarily firefighters who have bundled contributions in the past). (Candidate Linda Deos is doing the same.) I believe contributions from these groups are inappropriate at the municipal level. These contributions are certainly legal, and some say they are small and don't matter. I adopted a similar position when I ran in 2010; then when I served this practice removed any suggestion of favoritism and improved the integrity of our council's toughest decisions. Thank you to Larry and Ezra (and Linda) for leading here.
- Fiscal Responsibility. This is the most important issue to me. Larry and Ezra are both businessmen. They know budgets and how to balance them, and they have personally implement controlling costs. They will excel in making the very difficult decisions essential for the city's long-term fiscal sustainability. Our ability to maintain our roads, parks and all that make Davis special depend on fiscal sustainability being Job One. Almost everything else we want to do as a city is secondary to having the funds needed to maintain our great, dedicated staff and pursue innovative projects.
- Environmental Stewardship. I believe Larry and Ezra have the broadest and deepest commitments to Davis' national leadership for the environment -- from transportation and biking, to renewable energy and energy conservation, to habitat preservation. Ezra comes from farming and open space roots and has exceptional experience in energy (that's his business); Larry's a rafter and regular UC Davis Raptor Center volunteer and has excellent knowledge and passion for community planning, currently serving on our Downtown Plan Advisory Committee.
Please join me in voting for Larry Guenther and Ezra Beeman. No matter what, VOTE!" :~) Vote by mail ballots will arrive this week and the election is June 5.