First, full disclosure. I am on boards, commissions, and committees in Davis, but I am speaking on my own behalf as an individual community member.
Whether there is an issue with minority representation on the Davis City Council and, if so, whether district elections would address that issue, appear to be moot. We are going to create districts and have district elections.
But while we’re sorting out those districts, I feel other questions with the way our city is governed should be discussed at the same time. That discussion might include:
1) should we change the number of council members?
2) should we have district representatives and a mayor elected at large?
3) should we continue with the ‘strong-city-manager’ approach or should we change?
4) should council positions be full-time or remain part-time?
5) should Davis become a charter city?
Our City is changing and growing. One can always choose to be the victim or the beneficiary of change. I would like Davis to benefit from that change. If we are going to benefit from this change, this seems like an opportunity we can not pass up.