20th Annual Request for Proposals; proposals due October 28, 2022
(From press release) Nonprofit organizations are invited to submit applications to the Biberstein Social Action Fund for grants in support of projects addressing poverty, discrimination, abuse and neglect issues in Yolo County.
The Biberstein Social Action Fund was established in 2002 by the Board of Directors of Congregation Bet Haverim to honor Ernie and Hannah Biberstein, who are among the founding members of CBH, and who devoted much of their lives to community service and social justice. Hannah passed away in April 2011. 2022 marks the 20th Anniversary of the Fund, and, even more importantly, Ernie’s 100th birthday in November.
The goal of the annual awards made from the Biberstein Social Action Fund is to help Yolo County organizations in their efforts to meet unfulfilled needs. “In light of all the budget cuts in social services, we hope that grants like ours can make a difference,” Hannah Biberstein had said. “It means a lot to us that real individuals benefit from our grants.” Special consideration is given to new and/or innovative projects.
An annual Request for Proposals is released in the fall every year. Grants ranging from $500 to $2,000 are awarded each November. A committee of Bet Haverim congregants reviews grant applications. Current Biberstein Fund committee members are congregants Ernie Biberstein, Anne Gieseke, Amy Abramson, Sandy Jones, Joan Sublett, and Shoshana Zatz.
Information about the Biberstein Award, including a link to the application, is available on the CBH website: https://www.bethaverim.org/engage/committees/biberstein-social-action-fund/
Grant proposals must be submitted no later than October 28, 2022. Questions may be directed to the Biberstein Social Action Fund at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Awards will be announced in December, 2022.
The Bibersteins were among the founders of Davis Community Meals and Housing (DCMH), where they served as board members and officers. They have also been active in a variety of interfaith groups, including Care for God’s Creation, Yolo Interfaith Immigration Network, and Celebration of Abraham, which brings together Jews, Muslims and Christians. In recognition of their services, they received several civic awards.
Ernie Biberstein is a professor emeritus of the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine. Hannah Biberstein was a mediator in the original city of Davis mediation program, was chair of the city’s Social Services Commission, and served on the Affordable Housing Task Force.
"We are looking forward to the annual distribution of these funds for good works in Yolo County," said Ernie Biberstein. Contributions to the fund may be made through Congregation Bet Haverim, 1715 Anderson Road, Davis, 95616. Please note that the donation is for the Biberstein Social Action Fund.
In 2022, the following grants were awarded, totaling $17,315:
- Bike City Theatre Company & The Culture C.O.O.P – Support for the live production of “Grandpa is Everything Black Bad?”
- Davis Oral Health Project – Oral health care supply kits with bilingual instructions.
- Fourth and Hope – Commercial kitchen equipment for adult emergency shelter and residential housing.
- HEART of Davis – Meals for emergency shelter residents
- iDream – The Mac Give Back Project – Upgrade/refurbish used computers for donation to underserved populations
- Make it Happen for Yolo County – Healthy cooking packages for transition-age (18-24) underserved youth
- Meals on Wheels Yolo County – Grocery items for Weekend Food Project for the neediest home delivered meal clients
- Personal Care Pantry – Hygiene and home cleaning supplies for low-income Woodland residents
- STEAC –Vouchers and gift cards for STEAC clients in need of public transportation
- Suicide Prevention of Yolo County – Gas and food support for crisis line volunteers
- Thriving Pink – Support the launch of a new initiative “ProspeRosa”, a program supporting the Spanish speaking breast cancer community in Yolo County
- Yolo Crisis Nursery – Equipment to enhance emergency medical and first aid resources for YCN clientele
- Yolo Food Bank – Transportation costs to support the Food Bank partnership with the Masjid Aisha Mosque in West Sacramento